Here is our favorite French Bread recipe! This recipe requires significant resting/rising time but the results are incredibly worth it. We enjoy using the measuring rolling mat listed on our site to ensure that the loaf is the correct size before rising for the final time. Please reach out via the contact us tab below if you have any recipe or product recommendations!
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, oil, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until blended. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; return to bowl. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a 16x2-1/2-in. loaf with tapered ends. Sprinkle cornmeal over a greased baking sheet; place loaf on baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes.
- Beat egg white and cold water; brush over dough. With a sharp knife, make diagonal slashes 2 in. apart across top of loaf. Bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.